From Good Ol' Canada
Day 309 (4th July)
So, I have wanted to make poutine for the LONGEST time, and today, I finally got my lazy bum up and made it.
It takes a considerably long time to make this simple dish, but it is so worth it.
Here's the recipe I followed:
Recipe (Two Servings)
For the fries:
Four large potatoes
Salt, to taste
About 3 cups of oil for frying
For the gravy:
One and a half cups of any veggies you'd like (I used the tops of carrots and bell peppers, one whole onion, one tomato (deseeded), and the top of a cucumber)
One litre of water
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
Black salt, to taste
Three tablespoons of all-purpose flour
Three tablespoons of salted butter
For the cheese "curds":
Half a cup of diced mozzarella cheese rolled into balls
1) Start by adding the chopped vegetables and water to a pot.
2) Simmer them on low heat for about an hour. Cover the pot with a lid.
3) After an hour, check on your broth. If the water content has considerably lowered, add enough water so that the total water in the pot is about four to five cups.
4) Stir your broth for an additional ten minutes.
5) Store the broth in a separate container. Use the vegetables for compost or blend them for a soup.
6) In a large pot, add three tablespoons of butter. Let it melt.
7) Add in three tablespoons of all-purpose flour. Mix the two until combined.
8) Add your broth and cook for about five to ten minutes.
9) Add salt and pepper to taste. Continue to cook the gravy for about fifteen minutes. Stir occasionally.
10) While your gravy is cooking, wash the two potatoes and chop them into rectangular pieces — no need to peel them.
11) Rinse the potatoes under cold water until the water runs clear.
12) Heat up the oil for about three to five minutes on high heat.
13) Add in the fries in batches. Fry them for about three to four minutes or until just cooked (but not brown).
14) Pat the fries dry. Fry them again until golden brown (about three to five minutes).
15)Add the fries to a bowl and salt them liberally. Toss them around so each fry is salted.
16) Assemble the poutine by adding a layer of fries, gravy, and mozzarella cheese. Enjoy warm!
It took me way too long to type this recipe out. :O